Riverside House : Activities
Two key cycling events are coming to the Peak District in 2014:
L'Eroica often referred to as 'the most handsome bike race in the world' will pass along The Monsal Trail and right past our holiday cottage on 22 June. It will also pass through Tideswell. For more information visit the website.
The one and only Tour de France will also visit the Peak District next year. Sheffield will be the finish of stage 2 on 6 July.
And if you are not quite up to those standards a cycle ride along the traffic free Monsal Trail is a must. Almost right from the door of Riverside House you can cycle 8 miles including the breathtaking Monsal Viaduct and stopping off at Bakewell for a couple of hours or for lunch.
Don't forget that we have secure bike storage in our detached garage at Riverside House holiday cottage. There is also an outside tap on the side of the cottage to wash down the bikes at the end of days cycle.
Walks within very easy access of Riverside House:
- Tideswell Dale: easy access sculpture trail and evidence of ancient underground lava flows!
- Chee Dale: impressive 200 ft deep gorge
- Deep Dale and Topley Pike: great array of wildlife
- Priestcliffe Lees: breathtaking views and fabulous springtime and summertime wildflower displays
- Ravenstor and Bellamy's Bank: towering limestone craggs - David Bellamy was inspired to a lifetime of conservation when he came here as a young boy
- Water-cum-Jolly: a lovely river walk ending up at the 'Brew Stop' for a cup of tea
- Cressbrook Dale: some of the most flower-rich grassland in the region, superb scenery and accessible viewpoints
Fishing is not permitted at Riverside House, but there are places to go in the Peak District for some of the best trout fishing and scenery in the country.
- The Derwent Reservoir at Ladybower is the only water in England where you can get a day ticket to fish for true wild brown trout.
- The Monsal Dale River is famous for its unique strain of breeding Rainbow Trout and fly fishing only is available. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Carsington Water fishing season runs from March to October each year and is predominantly a brown trout fishery with bank and boat fishing.